Here’s a couple shots from the old West Philadelphia High School between 47th and 48th Streets along Walnut Street.
Built in 1911, this school occupies an entire city block and was originally divided into a boys school and a girls school before being combines in the 1930’s. At one point, it was the only high school in west of the Schuylkill River until the opening of Overbrook HS in 1926 and Bartram HS in 1935. Across the street from the old WPHS is the former home of the Philadelphia Stars, our city’s Negro League baseball team, before moving to 44th and Parkside in 1936.
The new WPHS stands at 49th and Chestnut, but this remarkable building remains an amazing piece of architecture and history.