What you see pictured here is a baseball I got signed by the one, the only, Lenny Dykstra in 1994. For those who are new to LOLadelphia, we have dubbed 2011 as the Year of Lenny Dykstra. So far in 2011:
- Lenny gets in trouble for supposedly demanding oral sex and a massage from a maid
- Lenny was arrested for drug possession and auto theft
- Lenny received the services of a prostitute, wrote her a check, and the check bounced.
- Lenny gives an interview on NBC 10 in which he appeared drunk and looking like he robbed a thrift store.
- Lenny eats a complimentary $700 meal and doesn’t leave a tip
- It was revealed that Lenny was a close friend of Charlie Sheen
In a lot of ways, this baseball mirrors the life of Dykstra quite well. It was once the crown jewel of my sports memorabilia collection, and yesterday I found it in a box of assorted shit in a damp and disgusting basement. Dykstra, on the other hand, used to be the crown jewel of the Phillies during the early 90’s, and he’ll be spending some time in a damp and disgusting prison cell.
2011 really has been the Year of Lenny Dykstra.